Men's Sports Sports Women's Sports

Athletes of the Week for 4/12/12 through 4/18/12

Nick Lovett

Staff Writer

Ashley Marino of the softball team continued her stellar pitching performance this week and Kevin Coyle helped lead the men’s track and field team with outstanding individual performances, earning them the Springfield Student Newspaper Players of the Week award for 4/12/12 through 4/18/12.

Athletes of the Week for 4/12/12–4/18/12

Ashley Marino

Ashley Marino has been dominant this season. The sophomore pitcher has thrown two no-hitters already this season for the Pride and recently was named NEWMAC Pitcher of the Week. The Harrison, N.Y. native is 11-5 this year, throwing 10 complete games in 14 starts. During the Pride’s 6-1 win over Keene State on Tuesday, Marino went the distance, striking out six. She did not walk a single batter and has only allowed 13 walks all season. She has been even stingier with hits, holding opposing batters to a .175 batting average.

Q. How did it feel throwing your first no-hitter at Springfield College? 

A. Throwing my first no-hitter here at Springfield College was such an amazing feeling because it was an entire team effort with offense, defense, pitching and catching.

Q.Did you feel yourself getting into a groove early on or do you not really pay attention to that?

A. I was definitely getting stronger and stronger as the innings went on.

Q. What was your reaction to throwing a second no-hitter this season?

A. Throwing my second no-hitter was also a great feeling. My entire team was focused and put runs on the board early in the game which provided the whole team with confidence. My catcher Allison Clott called a great game and knew exactly what pitch to throw at every batter.

Q. How do you think the team will do the rest of the way?

A. With the pride, confidence, passion and heart this team has I feel we should do very well throughout the rest of the season.

Kevin Coyle

Kevin Coyle’s dominance in the triple jump and long jump continued this weekend in men’s track and field’s tri-meet against WPI and Coast Guard. In the long jump, Coyle leaped to a distance of 23-7 ½ meters, which was good for first in the meet. He also finished first In the triple jump with a distance of 43-7 ¾. Coyle also participated in the 4×400 relay and threw the discus. His performance was good enough to get the NEWMAC Men’s Field Athlete of the Week. Coyle has been one of the most consistent members of the team all season long and he looks to get into the NCAA Championships later in the season. But for now he is just looking forward and preparing for the next meet, which is Sat. Apr. 21.

Q. Which do you consider your best event, the long jump or the triple jump?

A.  I have always considered the long jump to be my best event.  It’s a unique event in which substantial speed and power are a must, but technique is king.

Q. Being one of the team’s prominent scorers each week, do you feel a pressure to perform at a high level each week?

A. I certainly feel pressure to perform well each week. However, it is solely because I hold myself to an extremely high standard.  I’m the first to admit that I am my own harshest critic. My coaches claim I’m impossible to satisfy, but I attribute that attitude to the success that I’ve experienced in track and field.  

Q. How does it feel being named the NEWMAC Player of the Week?

A.  I have been very fortunate to win some outstanding awards throughout my career at Springfield College. Each one motivates me to continue working hard.  Although I sacrificed and put in countless hours, it would all be meaningless without the guidance I have received from Coach Klatka, Steve Conca, Chris Flynn, Nick Decelle, my teammates and my father.

Nick Lovett may be reached at nlovett@springfieldcollege.edu