Senior Farewell: Alanna Grady

Alanna Grady

Features Editor

It’s hard to describe the ritual of Wednesday night paste-ups to anyone who is not involved. Whenever I try to explain to people exactly what we do from Wednesday afternoons through the early hours of Thursday mornings, I’m never exactly able to do so in a way that makes the experience sound appealing. Sure, we work together to put together the student newspaper, but it’s more than that. Every week has been its own unique experience in learning how to translate life into words and figuring out how to tell best to people’s stories, and I wouldn’t trade that for the world.

To call The Springfield Student a labor of love may sound incredibly cliché, but to me, it’s also true. I’ve never met as many people dedicated to doing something right as I have when working on and with this staff. It’s inspiring to see people week after week who consistently put aside their homework and other obligations and sacrifice hours of their time toward a project bigger than themselves, something that we all hope will make a positive impact on the Springfield College community.

Writing this column is strange for me because I’ve only been a part of this paper for three semesters. I worked on the student newspaper at my previous college, and after I transferred here last fall, I was kind of looking forward to having my Wednesday nights free. After meeting members of last year’s staff and after writing my first story, I began to miss the whole experience. After coming down to paste-up one Wednesday night last spring, I didn’t want to leave.

I can truly say that I have made some of my best friends on this staff. Not only are these the only people other than my own families members that I have seen at every single hour of the day, but they are also the people with whom I have been the farthest from home. They also happen to be some of the cheeriest 2 a.m. editors and 3 a.m. travelers I have ever met, and I’m thankful for that.

I guess it’s true that there is some sort of hierarchy in journalism—not so much in the sense that some positions on a newspaper staff are more powerful than others, even though that’s true, but because a newspaper is a place where effort is recognized and rewarded. Writers work their ways up through the ranks, and I am thankful to the staff of The Student for accepting me so gracefully and giving me the position of features editor for the past two semesters.

None of what I’ve done as a part of or because of this paper would have happened if it hadn’t been for the people I’ve worked with. I have a lot of people to thank for many reasons, and though I won’t be able to cover everyone, I’ll start my thank-yous here:

First off, thank you to my advisor, Becky Lartigue, who sent out the initial email that put me in touch with last year’s editor-in-chief, Joe Brown, which started my involvement in the paper. She deserves thanks for much, much more than that, but I only have so many words.

Thank you to Marty Dobrow for his polite persistence and convincing sales pitches about stories that I otherwise probably would have passed up. By being able to report these stories through The Student, I am lucky to have been able to be involved in some small way in some of the greatest stories this campus has to tell.

Thank you to Joe Brown and Jon Santer, the pillars of last year’s Student, who held the paper to such an incredible standard and who really created an atmosphere that I wanted so much to be a part of.

Thank you to this year’s editors of The Student. In particular, thank you to Andrew Gutman and Pat Kenney for their attention to detail, their willingness to always jump in with their help and give feedback whenever anyone needed it, and their ability to make everybody smile at the end of a long day. Also, a big thank you to our copy-editor Jackie Imondi for keeping me sane on Wednesday nights as we edited stories, for the in-depth conversations about life, and, no matter how late it is, for always making me laugh.

Lastly, thank you to the readers of this paper, who make this all worthwhile.

Advertisements