Springfield College welcomes family and friends to campus

By Jillian Campbell

Assistant News/Features Editor

family_weekend2
Photo courtesy of SC Student Media

Texts, FaceTimes and phone calls are a convenient way to stay in touch with family and friends while living at Springfield College, a home away from home. But sometimes, it just doesn’t do the trick. Nothing can compare to a mother’s embrace or an infinitely corny but always appreciated “dad joke”. And thus, Family Weekend was born.

Family Weekend has been an annual happening at SC for decades. It is a way for students and their loved ones to spend quality time together while enjoying all of the various events that campus has to offer. What was originally more sports-oriented has now blossomed into fun for the whole family, keeping the athletic aspect but also offering plenty of other options.

Batting lead-off for the weekend was a night of “Family-frenzied Bingo” in the Union. Anyone that goes to Springfield knows what a big deal bingo is, so it just wouldn’t be right not to share that enthusiasm with the ‘rents. There was the traditional five-in-a-row, blackout, “unlucky” bingo, and last but surely not least, the real main event – the dance off  (where even our own President Mary-Beth Cooper busted a few moves).

Saturday was jam-packed, kicking off the day with a breakfast for first-years hosted by the Office of Development, followed by an afternoon picnic at the president’s residence.

From there, families could choose from a variety of different sports to watch including men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey, and women’s volleyball. However, the most popular choice was the football game, and with good reason – the Pride’s emotional comeback win was a bonding experience for everyone in the stands. Exemplary student-athletes were also recognized on the field during halftime.

And for the non sports fans, Naismith Green was the place to be, equipped with a bouncy house, inflatable obstacle course, and a tent where families could get their picture taken and transferred on to their very own mug for dad to drink his morning coffee from.

The Union was filled with more entertainment that night as magician Norman Ng enchanted the audience with his illusions and tricks.

As the sun came up on Sunday morning, families flocked to Blake Track to participate in the annual Family Weekend Fun Run. Once they crossed the finish line, they were invited to refuel with a lovely brunch at the home of President Mary-Beth Cooper.

With that, the weekend drew to a close. Hugs were shared between parent and child, some more tearful than others, and cars exited the parking lots to travel back to their respective homes.

The precious memories made on that weekend will tide students over until they are reunited with their families again. Sophomore Ali Izzi said it best: “I don’t get to see my mom a lot, but even the smallest moments when I do remind me of all the support that I have – and that is what Family Weekend is all about.”

Advertisements