After Semis Loss, Giglio Bids Springfield Farewell for Now, But Roots To College Have Always Run Deep

Gage Nutter

@GageNutter

48dnwll95ln179w4[1]
Photo via Wentworth Athletics

Evin Giglio used to wear the maroon and white and compete on the Springfield College men’s volleyball team. Now seven years later, he wears a black polo and khakis from the sidelines as he coaches his Wentworth Institute of Technology Leopards.

Giglio and his Leopards made the trek to Springfield to take on reigning champion SUNY New Paltz in the NCAA Division III Championship tournament. Jake Reed led the way offensively for the Leopards with 15 kills. As a unit, Wentworth put on a dazzling blocking display on the front line. The Leopards ended the matchup out blocking New Paltz 15-6. His team may have lost the minor upset 3-2, but he still enjoyed returning to campus and experiencing the unique athletic environment that it provides

“I always enjoy coming back here because I enjoy the atmosphere,” Giglio said. “You could tell the atmosphere in the gym today was great. That is always a constant when you come to Springfield, and that is why it’s great that they are hosting the national championship.”

In his time at Springfield College, Giglio studied Communications/Sports Journalism. He hosted his own radio show on campus and contributed to the school’s student-run newspaper The Springfield Student.

Giglio was only on campus for two years because he transferred from a community college, but he took advantage of every moment he had on Alden Street.

“I was a New Student Orientation leader and probably wrote some opinion pieces for the paper that weren’t that popular,” Giglio said. “I tried to integrate myself into the fabric of Springfield as much as possible and I feel like that has given me the tools on how to run my program and carry myself.”

Giglio played under coach Charlie Sullivan in his time at Springfield. He doesn’t see many similarities in he and Sullivan’s coaching styles, but he has drawn one thing from Sullivan’s philosophy and integrated it into his own program.

“I think coach Sullivan and I are very very different guys,” Giglio said. “We have got some opposing strengths. But one thing I did take away, well I took away many things, but one of them would be that every day in the gym is competitive. Every day we work hard and every day we try and get better. That is something that I probably learned the most and when I took over my own program I started to instill in my guys.”

Advertisements