Men's Sports Sports

Pride Bounce Back and Destroy Mass. Maritime

Austin Ramos

Staff Writer

Photo Courtesy: Springfield College Athletics
Photo Courtesy: Springfield College Athletics

With the American Flag waving wildly in the wind at Stagg Field, Springfield College wouldn’t fall for a second consecutive game. The men’s lacrosse team rebounded from a 13-8 defeat at the hands of Western New England, reeling off 18 first half goals en route to a 20-6 victory over Mass. Maritime, improving to 4-6 on the season.

Brendan Boss recorded four goals, while Dylan Sheehan recorded three. Combined, the two were responsible for 14 points as Boss had two assists, while Sheehan assisted on five different occasions.

“We just had to run to pass and run to catch a little bit,” said Sheehan. “We just shortened our passes up, so the wind was not much of a factor.”

In the first quarter, the Pride did not waste any time trying to score. The dynamic duo of Boss and Sheehan scored within seven seconds of each other just three minutes into the game, giving Springfield the early 2-0 edge. One minute later, Jamey Conley buried a wide-open shot from the left side, the first of his two goals, extending the lead to 3-0.

The Pride struck again just 15 seconds later. Brendan Dooley scooped up the ball after a faceoff, and played a little give and go with, who else but, Boss before Boss sent home his second goal on the afternoon, pushing the lead to four.

Nine different players contributed to the point total in the first quarter as the Pride led 12-1.

With two minutes to go in the first, Mass Maritime’s Steven Anderson lasered a ball underneath the cross-bar to put his team on the board.

The second quarter was much of the same as the first. The Pride outscored the Buccaneers 6-1, starting out strong by ripping two goals by James Close, the goalie for Mass. Maritime, within five minutes of the start of the quarter.

Mass Maritime’s Reed Mclean scored the team’s second goal of the half to make the score 14-2 with 10 minutes remaining in the half. Kevin Saint added a late goal for the Pride, capping a 4-0 run to end the half.

With the Pride’s reserves on the field for much of the second half, Mass Maritime held Springfield scoreless in the third, while outscoring them 4-2 over the final two frames.

Duncan Preston put Springfield in the scoring column in the second half, weaving through the Buccaneer’s defense, before sending home his first goal on the season.

The Pride unleashed 60 shots towards the Buccaneer’s goalies, compared to the Buccaneer’s 19. The Pride also won 26 out of the 30 face-offs.

“We were just trying to become more aggressive, trying to take better care of the ball, be more aggressive all over the field,” said head coach Keith Bugbee. “It is something we have been working on all year to get better at. I thought today they did pretty good at that. Energy, energy, better energy.”

Leave a Reply