Sports Women's Sports

Women’s Soccer Ties Wellesley in Regular Season Finale

Zach Tolman
Staff Writer

Sophomore Nicole Fowler splits a pair of Wellesley defenders (Meghan Zimbler/The Student)
Sophomore Nicole Fowler splits a pair of Wellesley defenders (Meghan Zimbler/The Student)

Two overtimes was not enough to decide a victor on Saturday when the Springfield College women’s soccer team faced off against Wellesley College on Brock-Affleck Field. With the 1-1 tie, the maroon and white’s record went to 11-4-3, including 6-1-3 in the NEWMAC with one game remaining before playoffs begin.

Springfield was able to generate a heavy amount of offence, controlling the ball for the majority of the game. Wellesley goalkeeper Kat Goldsmith kept her team in the contest, registering 11 saves on numerous close shots. Five of those saves came at crucial times in the second overtime.

“I thought we played some really good soccer,” Springfield coach John Gibson said. “We were quite creative making changes during the game, changing our system, and the longer it went the better we looked.“

The first goal of the game was in the 77th minute when Springfield’s Brianna Messier was able to thread a pass ahead to Nina Vital, who chipped it over Goldsmith’s reach in the upper right corner for the go-ahead goal.

Wellesley responded in the 81st minute when Abigail Hess was able to place a shot in the upper left corner, just over the extended fingertips of Springfield goalkeeper Lucy Gillett. Hess took all three of Wellesley’s shots on the day, colliding with Gillett on a close scoring chance prior to finding the back of the net.

“We didn’t start fast enough,” Gibson said. “Wellesley liked to posses the ball; they are very patient. Our plan was to pressure the ball a little more than we did. I thought we created enough chances to have comfortably won, and once we got ahead we got more chances. It was very disappointing to have a defensive breakdown and give them the chance to smash the ball in.”

After an overtime of grueling defense, where neither team allowed a shot on net, both teams hit the field again in an effort to decide a winner in the NEWMAC bout.  Sophomore Pride forward Nicole Fowler led her team with her aggressive ball play. Mustering up all of their remaining energy, the Pride created opportunities and were able to generate six shots on goal in the second overtime, but Goldsmith fended off all of them.

The Pride square off against Worcester Polytechnic Institute on Tuesday before directing their attention towards the NEWMAC Tournament, which will begin next weekend.

Leave a Reply